It’s easy to think anyone can come up with a good name, but it’s more complicated than that.
“An idea can come from anywhere, but getting buy in and seeing it through is tough. In fact, naming can be one of the hardest parts of a branding project.”
From a naming handbook by Wolff Olins. Via @gradiate.
These naming specialists are listed at the end.
With a few relevant books.
- Wordcraft: The Art of Turning Little Words into Big Business
- Sound Symbolism
- The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language
- The Name of The Beast: The Process and Perils of Naming Products, Companies, and Brands (this one's also recommended by Reed Words)
Another that seems worth picking up.
Some online pieces.
- How To Get A Name Right, from Pentagram, via @AND_Studio
- Do's and Don'ts of Naming a Brand, on Highsnobiety
- A 3-step process for naming a project/product, by Ben Pieratt
- Verbing brand names, on The Economist
- Thoughts: general names, by James of DesignStudio
And when you have your shortlist, check availability.