I receive a lot of email asking for advice about graphic design jobs, so to help, I’ve created this short Q&A video. The advice is pretty basic, but I’m asked often enough to warrant a post.
The following four questions are answered:
- I’m moving abroad. Do you have any advice for design job hunting?
- How should I make initial contact with the design studio?
- Should I offer to mail the studio a printed portfolio?
- Do you have any interview tips?
I’m not too hot at these video posts just yet.
Update: 03 March 2011
Video removed. Sorry folks. Try checking the resources below.
- Studio Culture: The Secret Life of a Graphic Design Studio
- 15 graphic design interview tips, by Lee Newham
- CV/resumé tips for graphic designers
I normally answer reader questions via email or with a typed blog post — the old “your questions answered” series, for example — but it’s good to mix things up, and I’ve wanted some practice at creating videos since back when I took on the book project.
Do you have any tips for designers looking for jobs?
If you have another question you’d like me to answer, fire away.
Image credit: the type junkie