If you’re thinking of quitting your salaried job to start your own design business, here are a few designers who’ve reflected on their time in self-employment.
Last updated: February 2014.
- Guy Moorhouse of Futurefabric shared 10 lessons learnt after one year in business.
- Nathan Barry reflected on his first year after quitting his job as a software designer.
- Tina Roth-Eisenberg published what she learned after one year of Tattly.
- Adrian Pelletier learned these lessons after 4 months in self-employment.
- Shauna Haider of Nubby Twiglet on what she learned during her first year freelancing.
- Ben Barry and Frank Chimero gave opinions on working for free when starting out.
- Cole Henley lost his job in February 2011, and reported on his two years since.
- Tim Cull is a software consultant, but his advice after three years running his own business is just as applicable.
- Jeff Archibald shared the blunt realities of running your own design business after five years of self-employment with his wife Andy.
Photo via Slim 69