“It’s easy to think anyone can come up with a good name, but it’s more complicated than that. An idea can come from anywhere, but getting buy in and seeing it through is tough. In fact, naming can be one of the hardest parts of a branding project.”
These naming specialists are listed at the end.
With a few relevant books.
- Wordcraft: The Art of Turning Little Words into Big Business
- Sound Symbolism
- The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language
- The Name of The Beast: The Process and Perils of Naming Products, Companies, and Brands (this one’s also recommended by Reed Words)
I found another that seems worth picking up.
And some online pieces.
- How To Get A Name Right, from Pentagram, via @AND_Studio
- Do’s and Don’ts of Naming a Brand, on Highsnobiety
- A 3-step process for naming a project/product, by Ben Pieratt
- Verbing brand names, on The Economist
- Thoughts: general names, by James of DesignStudio
When you have a few name ideas, check if they’re available.
And an honourable mention for Bernadette Jiwa who coined Work for Money, Design for Love.
Update: 01 April 2014
How to Name Things, on Subtraction.