A lot of students email me for help. To save everyone a bit of time, I write blog posts that answer common questions. Having published about 1,000 posts over the years, here’s a selection of the ones I think are most useful.
Last updated in January 2016.
Photo by Steve Kay
On getting hired
- The design company is not the only place to be a designer
- I wish I’d known that — design graduate advice
- What employers look for #1 (Eric Karjaluoto, smashLAB)
- What employers look for #2 (Jim Walls, 160over90)
- What employers look for #3 (Rochelle Fainstein, Sterling Brands)
- What employers look for #4 (Simon Manchipp, SomeOne)
- What employers look for #5 (Blair Thomson, Believe in)
- When pro bono design pays off
- CV tips for designers
- On negotiating your design salary
- On finding design work in a new country
- What graphic design schools are lacking
- Ten principles for good design
- A few good books
- On unpaid internships
- What convicts can teach us about branding
- Design blogs I subscribe to
- Pairing typefaces in book design
- Self-employment advice for graphic designers
- Quality vs quantity
- Brand naming resources
- How to get 87,698 blog subscribers
- How I became a self-employed graphic designer
- The ideal design process?
- Reflections on design self-employment
- Designing through a recession
- iMac buying tips
- Are freelance designers really suckers?
- More than just a title
- Be brilliant at the basics
- Logo trademarking tips: a legal perspective
- A manifesto on writing for design
- Type foundries worth a look
- Flexible brand names (on Logo Design Love)
On dealing with clients
- You don’t need a designer
- How to convince your clients they need a brand, not just a logo
- Responding to spec work requests
- Picasso and pricing your work
- How do you deal with unpaid invoices?
- How 20 designers charge their clients
- “Nobody bought the cheapest option.”
- Showing sketches to clients
On commercial printing
- Print vendors: a few handy resources
- Prepress tips for graphic designers
- Recommended UK commercial printers
- Money-saving questions to ask before printing your promotional material
I also pieced together a resources page on the Work for Money, Design for Love website. It’s mostly for designers who want to become self-employed.
Hopefully that’s of some use.